Tuesday 19 August 2014

My (Belated) Bout of Books Read-a-thon Goals and Read-a-thon Update

Bout of Books

I'm posting my goals a couple days late but it's because I have been so into what's going on in Ferguson. One can only watch so much news before it starts to become unbearably depressing. Besides I can't do much from my couch other than send supportive tweets and say prayers.

Every time I make a list of reading goals I usually never actually reach them, but here it goes.

I will finish the following books:

1. The Widow's Guide to Sex and Dating by Carole Radziwill

2. The Fifth Sacred Thing by Starhawk

3. book to be determined

I know that's only three books and the likelihood of me finishing them all is pretty unlikely, but I felt I needed to set these goals anyway. It's good to have goals, right?

Before this read-a-thon I had half of The Fifth Sacred Thing read. I had to put finishing it on hold to read The Widow's Guide to Sex and Dating because I realized the book was due back on Aug 22. I have read 69 pages so far. So far  these are my favorite lines:

"Widows are the new virgins, Claire. Men are licking their chops for you right now. They're all going to want to pop your widow cherry."

They seem vulgar and completely inappropriate to say but that is why I love them. This is why I love this book. Death is sometimes funny or absurd and this book acknowledges that.

I'm also participating in the Beat the Heat Read-a-thon so these books will count towards that read-a-thon as well. I hope to get six books read in total for this read-a-thon.

No comments:

Post a Comment