Friday 25 April 2014

My Dewey's Read-a-thon Warm Up Post


Today I spent time picking out the books I want to read for the 2014 Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-thon. I especially like YA books because they are short so I can get more books done in a 24 hr period. 

This year I'm going to do something different and read some of the books on Kindle for iPad. I've been adament about keeping it old school and reading my books on paper, but I discovered my library lets me borrow ebooks using Overdrive. I'm using my 13 yr old son's school iPad so I don't have to spent a cent. I can't keep claiming I don't like ebooks if I don't actually try reading some. If I really enjoy reading ebooks I think I'll finally invest in a Kindle. Although I can use my iPhone and laptop.

The books I have in my read-a-thon TBR pile include:

The Secret Circle: The Initiation by L.J. Smith (ebook)
The Secret Circle: The Captive Part 1 by L.J. Smith (I really only wanted book 1 but the ebook has both.)
The Vampire Diaries: The Awakening by L.J. Smith (ebook)
Sweep: The Coven (Book 2) by Cate Tiernan (paperback)
Emily the Strange: The Lost Days by Rob Reger, Jessica Gruner and Buzz Parker (hardcover)

I was all excited to start at midnight but then I remembered something about Dewey having really weird start times. According to Dewey's Start Times my region (Chicago, Houston) starts as 7am. (Not until 7 am!? I'm a night person not a morning person. Ugh!) I understand why he does these weird start times though because there's mini-challenges and prizes every hour.

I'm also going to try and participate in some of the mini-challenges. Every year I kind of ignore those so I don't really even know what the entail. I'd kind of like to know.

Oh and I discovered something I also never knew when I read the Warm Up post. Dewey was female! I've been following this event for a few years now and always assumed Dewey was a guy. The warm up post is a touching tribute to who Dewey was. She died 6 years ago but her friend Ana has been hosting the read-a-thon ever since. That is really cool!

This year I will be Facebooking and tweeting all throughout the read-a-thon. Follow me on my Books Are Portable Magic Facebook page and on my Twitter.

I guess in the meantime I will watch the movies I got from Netflix. One of them is The Sound of Music. Can you believe I've never seen it? Well I probably did as a kid but I don't remember it. I decided to finally watch it after coming across a Facebook post that asked "What is a movie everyone else has seen but you never have?" The Sound of Music was one and so is The Godfather. But I want to read the book first before watching that one. Maybe I should probably also get some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment